Sunday, October 15, 2006

Costa Rica 1

Hello everyone I hope this finds you all doing well. It is my first full week in Costa Rica. It has been a long week of training, and for those who know me a long week of early mornings. It is fabulous though I must admit. The first morning in the jungle I was awoken by the howler monkeys about 4:30, yes they really do howl quite like a dog (Good thing you did not buy me an alarm clock Jacq) I think they know when new people have arrived because they have not sounded off as much since that first morning.

It is quite beautiful here and I must say one of my favorite features is the canal the camp is on. It was about a 45 minute boat ride down rivers an canals to get to the base. It is so beautiful the way the thick lush jungle just goes straight up from the rivers edge. We have been out on the water several times as it is the only way to and from the camp. I enjoy the beauty each time, day or night. Most of this past week has been spent in class training for the different surveys we do: Turtle morning census, turtle night survey, canal bird survey, Rafia trail bird survey and the infamous Jaguar walk.

After 4 days in class I was in the last group to go out for a turtle walk. I did the morning census which is a six mile walk on the beach starting at 6:30 we look for tracks and nests from the night before. It was great because a green and a Hawks-bill had come up right near each other and their paths crossed and ran adjacent to each other. This was particularly interesting because it made it so you could see the distinct differences between their tracks.

Then I got to do the night survey that same day, yes another 6 miles on the beach from 10:00pm to 1:30am. It is so interesting to do the night walk because you do not use any lights because that would bother the females. I tell you it was so surreal. The sound of the waves, the moon and stars, I have to say this was my very favorite moment by far. We did not see any females come up to nest but the peace and tranquility of the walk was indescribable. I will look forward to the night walk each and every time.

Well I must be off as there are other people in the group who want to e mail their friends and family. Before I go though I need to tell you all that I also got to see hatch-lings (2) leave their nest and make their way down the beach to the ocean. This is a very rare treat. Take care and i will e mail next weekend Love Kelly Big higs and kisses to Emily, Hayden William And Livi Pictures are here

No comments: